HGBA Tryout Process & Times
* Online registration and payment are required before players are assigned to a team. *
If you need assistance with payment please contact HGBA before tryouts to make arrangements.
email@example.com with your contact information.
Please attend both days Saturday 9/22 & Sunday 9/23 2018
Hopkins North Jr. High in the Activity Structure
** Please note this is at North Jr. High this year, not West as in previous years. **
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to register and get fitted for uniforms
Online registration is Now Open!
There will be a short parent/guardian meeting on Sunday times below
10:30-11:30 4th grade tryouts - parent meeting Sunday 10:30
10:30-12:00 5th grade tryouts - parent meeting Sunday 10:30
12:00-1:30 6th grade tryouts - parent meeting Sunday 12:00
12:30-2:00 7th grade tryouts - parent meeting Sunday 12:30
1:30-3:00 8th grade tryouts - parent meeting Sunday 1:30
Thank you, we are looking forward to a great HGBA season!
The mission of the HGBA is to provide an environment for girls to develop fundamental basketball skills, team composition and awareness, and cohesiveness with the Hopkins High School Team coaches and players.
To successfully achieve this mission, the board strives for the following consistent goals:
- a summer basketball camp
- a summer breakfast club
- spring and summer skills workshops
- a tryout process in September to find the best fit for each individual girl on the teams to represent the HGBA
- a travel tournament schedule for fall and winter
- a practice schedule for October – March
- dedicated coaching staff and paid coaching clinics
- dedicated coaching coordinator
Tryouts assess the players’ skill, attitude, dedication, attentiveness, respect for others and conditioning. The tryout process includes drills consistently used in camp, breakfast club and workshops. It is the intention of the board to establish a fair, honest environment for the tryouts that encourages the girls to relax and do well.
- Tryouts will be overseen by the Coaching Coordinator, Varsity Coaching staff, paid coaches and independent evaluators.
- For 4th and 5th grades, the goal of the HGBA is to create equal teams if there are sufficient numbers to have more than one team per grade level.
- For 6th, 7th and 8th grade, the goal of the HGBA is to establish teams based on ability if there are sufficient numbers to have more than one team per grade level.
- The tryout process will not involve parents evaluating the age group in which their child or children participate.
- The tryouts will be over one weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, for approximately 1.5 hours (except 4th grade at one hour) each day. This will enable the evaluators to see the players perform at their best ability, in order to assign players to appropriate positions on the different teams. The tryout format will be at the discretion of the evaluators.
- At the beginning of tryouts, each player will be assigned a number to be worn. The number will be used to keep track of the players.
- All players will be given an equal opportunity in each assessment. The evaluators may choose to have some players participate for a longer portion in order to better assess their abilities.
- Parents may not watch the players’ tryouts.
- At the conclusion of the tryouts, the evaluators at each grade level will jointly select the players for teams. The evaluators will assign players to teams to achieve the objectives outlined above, and provide their selections to the coaching coordinator, President, and HGBA board of directors not more than one day following tryouts.
- Attendance at both tryouts is mandatory.
- The team selections will be communicated to the players and their parents about 1 week after tryouts. Generally, this will be communicated by HGBA roster email.
- Any appeals must be brought to the President of the Board & the Coaching Coordinator.